So, I thought I would just start my own blog about our adoption journey from here on out and any thoughts or frustrations that I have along the way. This isn't necessarily going to be fun for you :), but I think it will help me relieve some of my frustrations and also maybe help keep someone else company along their journey.
My first thought today is, whoever coined the term "why don't you just adopt" I am QUITE sure has NEVER gone through the process of adoption. After going through 7 years of trying to conceive and failing in all possible realms, we decided last February that we were going to leave all of that behind and pursue a path of adoption to bring our baby home. Well, at that point I felt a HUGE weight lifted....I didn't have to feel like a failure any longer. We were going to have a baby! We were also told "oh, you will get chosen very quickly!" "You are just what many expectant moms are looking for." We thought "GREAT!!" and we got started working on getting the nursery ready, preparing our parenting skills, researching pediatricians, picking out names, researching strollers and carseats. etc. All of the things that we hadn't dared do while trying to conceive. It was so exciting!
Well, after almost 6 months, LOTS of agency frustrations, tons of hard work to complete a multitude of Hague Convention requirements and being passed over 3 times now....this is no freakin' carnival ride! There are just as many ups and down in the adoption process as there are in the infertility world ~ they are just different ups and downs. I finally found out yesterday that a WEEK ago the two expectant moms our portfolios were being shown to, made their decision. A WEEK ago they decided and I just found out yesterday! Do you have any idea how excruciating each day of waiting is to an adoptive family?? At the end of last week, I was literally in tears because this is just so emotionally difficult! And now I find out that those feelings could have been spared a week ago.... My level of frustration at this point is actually indescribable.
So, please whoever you are....NEVER say to someone who is experiencing the pain of infertility "why don't you just adopt". There is nothing "just" about this....the pain and the disappointment at times goes very deep.
Yes, when we bring our baby home...finally....I know this frustration and pain will begin to melt away and when I look in his/her eyes I will know why we waited. But today...I don't understand at all...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
a great idea, i believe, jame....and it has been made very apparent, since you started this journey...and from the books i have read, that our society is not very educated at all on infertility or adoption......i don't know how that is going to change....one person at a time i guess....with each of them helping others.
i think it is a good thing to share with others who are walking this journey also.....there is a definite need to be heard and understood.
one foot in front of the other....you know you and matt are always in my thoughts and prayers.
love you,
mom
I'm so glad you have created this outlet Jamie. It might be really good for the soul.
I was thinking a lot about you guys last night...I watched a movie called "Then She Found Me."
Have you heard of it.
It is achy and complicated but a truly beautiful story.
Thank you for sharing your heart with such courage and for offering what you can to other people along the way.
You are a warrior.
What an amazing idea to do this. I know you have opened my eyes to the intense struggle many people go through. You are such a pillar of strength, courage, and beauty. You and Matt are in my daily prayers. I hope that this new outlet gives you some of the peace and space your heart needs. We are here to support you guys if you ever need anything.
Oh honey..I do not know how you feel, but I can understand the sadness.
There is no understanding why ....We do not get what we deserve..but I feel confident that one day a baby will be yours.
I will continue to pray and visit you ...
fondly, Deena
I just wanted to say that all our problems are meaningful to each of us, to others and to God!!!
Never think they are diminished ..
I know your heart longs for a little one..I'm praying
the sweetie will come SOON..love to you, Deena
Hi again Jamie,
This post struck a chord with me, and even though I'm late in replying I couldn't resist. I totally relate to so much of what you're saying here...people can be so insensitive sometimes! I recently had someone tell me, after hearing that we are adopting, that they had always wanted to adopt. That's insensitive in another sense all together. I'm thrilled that we are adopting now, and I'm very much at peace with the decisions we've made based on where we've been, but the brutal truth is that we didn't always want to adopt...we reached this point after years of pain and struggle while TTC. I wish people could just understand sometimes. I know they are usually just trying to relate and don't mean any harm, but the level of adoption/IF ignorance amongst the general public is still frustrating sometimes. What is one to do except try to change the world one small step at a time?!
Melba
I'm breathing out...slowly...cause the 'just's and the 'how many children do you have'....and the 'who's problem is it?'....all these questions and answers which don't help at all...instead...all any one every had to do was touch your hand...and say nothing. Just listen...just be there.
xx
Post a Comment