Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Story






Hi ~ I have always enjoyed it when our new adoptive moms share a little bit of their story regarding delivery, hospital experience, etc. So, now that I have one extra moment to spare....I thought I'd try to put ours into words for you. :)

"H" (bmom) had an appt on Jan 29th for check-up and possible induction for Monday Feb 2 if she was dilated at all. Matt and I were able to go with her and she surprised us all by being 3cm dilated! So, we were set for Monday at 4pm to be induced. That night around 10pm we got a call from her mom saying she was taking "H" in to the hospital as she was having contractions 3 minutes apart for the last 2 hours. We jumped in the car after throwing some things together (we were staying with Matt's parents while waiting for our little man to make his appearance) and drove the 45 minutes to the hospital. After being there for only about 30 minutes, they decided to give "H" a shot of morphine and send her home as they didn't believe she was in actual labor! What?! She could barely stand to get dressed again and sit in the wheelchair!So....we all went home and at around 6am the next morning we got another call saying that she was taking "H" back in because she was definitely in labor. We headed back up to the hospital for the birth of our son! :)

They ended up admitting her, breaking her water and eventually giving her an epidural. She slept most of the day while Matt and I stayed with her. Her mom had some errands she needed to get done so she came and went a couple of times. They kept checking her periodically until around 3:45pm when she was ready to start pushing. Originally she had felt she only wanted her mom and I in the room with her, but ended up not caring who was in the room! :) So Matt and I both were able to watch this amazing miracle transpire together. I was on one side of "H", her mom was on the other and together we helped root her on as she fought like a true champion to push this huge baby our of her 105lb /5 foot little frame. She did so amazing and I was just overcome with love and thankfulness for what she was doing for us. Milo was born at 4:49pm at 8lbs 14 oz. but we didn't know that for about an hour because "H" began hemorraghing. It was a bit intense for a while during this and "H"'s mom almost passed out in worry for her young daughter. Once they got that under control they started working with Milo. It turned out "H" was fighting infection and that it could have been given to Milo. He was burning hot when he came out and H was running a fever. After all was said and done ~ even though the placenta tested positive for infection...he was perfectly healthy. That part was a little scarey for the new mommy and daddy! :) Our case worker was in the room during labor and delivery also and she took about 150 photos for us ~ so many moments caught in photo that are such huge treasures for us. We were so grateful to have that.

I stayed both nights in the hospital with "H" and took care of little Milo. The first night was a real eye opener! :) I felt frustrated because the hospital wouldn't allow me to have him in bed with me and he wasn't happy being in the bassinet....so we walked around...all night long.... :) in the room where "H" was trying to sleep. Plus they came in every two or less hours to check on "H" due to the bleeding and then check Milo ~ there was absolutely no sleeping. Plus I was really uncomfortable with Matt leaving and driving in the weather conditions. I felt like I really wanted all of my family right there so that nothing would happen to anyone. I kept calling to check that he had made it wherever he was going. I just wanted to hear the comfort of his voice.

Sunday was discharge day.....the mood shifted a little bit from being mostly about excitement and conversation to sadness and distance. I knew this was coming but it was so hard. Our case worker went into "H"'s room first ~ it took about 2 hours. I was so nervous as we waited in the waiting room. Finally our case worker came out and said it was time for "H" to be discharged and we could go into her room again. Her little face and eyes were swollen from crying and all I wanted to do at that moment was take away her pain. She had already said her good bye to Milo, so now it was our turn. We gave her the gifts we had brought and then she and her mom left after tearful hugs and promises. At that moment it all hit me and I completely lost it crying into the nurses's arms..... I just wanted "H" to know how grateful we were, how much we love Milo and how no gift could ever be enough for what she has blessed us with. But there were no words to make her understand. I knew this would come with time. My heart just broke for the pain I knew her and her family were feeling.

Sunday afternoon (Feb 1st) we got to our hotel room ~ finally! Finally we were together as a family....just us! :) It was an amazing and surreal moment. Throughout our ICPC stay we had lots of visiting family, family pictures, appts with pediatrician and attorney ~ it was a jam packed week! We arrived home on Saturday Feb 7th. I can't tell you how HAPPY we were to be home again. We were met at the airport by all of my family holding banners and balloons and one of my sisters videotaping our arrival. It couldn't believe this moment was finally here. The moment I was able to introduce my son to the rest of my family. I had dreamed about this for so long. Walking back into our home after being away for an emotionally packed two weeks was an unbelievable feeling. Walking in with a new member of our family was even more unbelievable.

Sooo...we're still trying to settle in. Trying to work out all the kinks that come with being new parents. Trying not to be TOO grouchy with each other at the lack of sleep we're getting. Taking each day at a time and enjoying it for what it is....the answer to this dream we have been dreaming for 8 years. :)

22 comments:

Bri said...

Wow, wow, wow! Powerful story and powerful pictures. My favorite is the one of your husband holding you while your hand is over your mouth. How awesome of H's mom to take photos of you guys! Congratulations, again! Your story brings me hope!

Jenn said...

i second bri's comment. so amazing!!!!

Julie and Greg said...

Jamie...WOW! Thank you for sharing and spreading the hope for us! That's my favorite picture too! It says so much!!

Debbie said...

Jamie, I had not heard the full story yet. What an emotional journey you have been through. Even before I read it, seeing that picture of Matt holding you is just beyond words. Don't worry about being grumpy....it is all a part of the parenthood game! :) I can not wait until I can see your little beautiful man again. Hope you are getting a little more sleep :)

kimberly said...

even though i have heard it, and been a part of it....so amazing to hear it from you again....and the last sentence says so much...."taking each day and enjoying it for what it is...the answer to the dream we have had for the last 8 years"......each and every day is such a blessing....no matter what! thank you God for answered prayers.
xoxoxo
mom

Rebekah said...

Yeah, so I'm balling like a baby! I have been thinking a lot about our hospital visit this week and your recap was incredible....I started crying as soon as I saw the picture of Matt holding you... I can only imagine what that moment will be like after all we've been through. It completely captures your hearts...BEAUTIFUL! I'm crying over the miracle of it all. I'm crying over the heartache you felt for H (I already feel that heartache for Rebekah). I'm crying over the airport celebration (how cool!). And I'm ultimately crying because I know how much pain goes into this journey. You deserve it all! What a beautiful baby boy!

Only a few more months until I can tell our hospital story!!! :)

Annette said...

Jamie,
I read and reread your miracle post, looked and re looked at those pictures, well....I re look at all of them, and I am crying elephant tears, this miracle is so amazing too me, I am so thrilled that you and Matt got to witness the birth. I have been praying for the birth mother and everyone that had a part in Milo's journey into your life's...this little man has such a special place in all of our life's out here in blog land, when I look at him I see a miracle, cause all of us prayed and too see our prayers answered for you &Matt just makes me cry, and please don't worry about being grumpy it's part of being a Mommy & Daddy! I love the picture's, you can see love in yours and Matt's eyes, again....congratulations on this miracle you named "Milo"
Hugs to you both~
Annette
p.s.
like all the other comments....
please give Milo a smooch for me!

Annette said...

P.s.
my daughter asked me why I was crying and I had her read your post and she said "Mom...he's so beautiful and God gave him to them for a very special reason" I cried some more!! Annette

Joni said...

Through blurred vision I sit amazed at the love and perseverance you have experienced and I know there really are no words to capture the emotions and thankfulness you have in your heart...there will always be a connection between the day Milo was gifted to you and the gratefulness you feel but can't quite explain...some blessings are just meant to be held very tightly...

thank you for taking a little time to share with all of us...it's so nice to be reminded of all the beautiful things that can take place in this world we all live in together ~

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for sharing. What an amazing story.
~~HUGS~~

Terri Edwards said...

jamie, your story & photos have brought back so many emotions for me. i'm sitting here crying holding sofia, just so overwhelmed with gratitude for ALL of our birthparents and their families. the pain they go thru as they make our dreams come true is just too much to comprehend until you see it with your own eyes. i think all adoptive parents need to actually witness what it takes for birthmothers to do what they do.

we are so blessed!!

Alyson said...

Beauty! Lots of love and peace for your new son and blessings for the three of you. You are such a beautiful mother Jamie :o) Can't wait to meet him :o)

Vonda said...

Thank you for sharing.I hadn't heard the entire story...so emotional!

Ms. J said...

The photo of you crying those tears of joy while your husband holds you took my breath away. I cried at the beauty of it.

Found your blog via a link on "Quest for a Lifetime"'s blog.

Congrats on bringing home your beautiful and treasured baby boy!

Carol Dunton said...

simply....

beautiful



vb

boho girl said...

i had to walk away and come back again about 10 times to get through this, my tears were spilling so much!!

i feel it all with you, sister...i do. my heart is bursting, just bursting for you all.

those photos were other wordly to look at. especially the one where Matt is holding you from behind as you look on and cry. oh, that got me good, girlfriend!

my heart also aches for that familiar feeling of goodbyes and emotions beyond words for the birth mom when having to leave. oh honey, i know...i so know every morsel of that ongoing mystery of selflessness.

Milo, your baby is finally here...finally in your arms. Finally. Yes!

love to you three.
beautiful story...*sigh*

denise

pERiWinKle said...

Dear Milo,
Welcome to life! You have an awesome mommy and daddy..they've waited just as long as my mommy and daddy waited for me.

Seems boys rule all over..you, me, Cedar! We rock! :0)

I know when you are that little it's difficult to sleep through, but i tell you - it's good! Give your mommy and daddy a rest (they need it) and lay in a bit...it's quite cool...i can assure you that they will sit there watching you...

High Five Milo! We should all go to the beach and play some ball or something...one day!

Bye Buddy,

Kellen xx

jen said...

Found you through boho girl...congratulations and many blessings upon Milo! He is a handsome little guy- gonna be a heart breaker for sure!

Melba said...

I have to agree - though I'm late in commenting on this, that the picture of Matt with his arms around you is a complete tearjerker! That is a picture of love if I have ever seen one. You two are going to be amazing parents and I am so happy that your day has finally come!!!

Melba

MyEbella aka Kim said...

I too found you thru Boho girl (from Tara Whitney's blog--always a fan of her photography)...
OMG the picture of your husband holding you ...what emotions must have been going thru everybody in the room...

I too am an adoptive mom (from S. Korea...unfortunately things didn't work out for us domestically), but thru that it put our son and daughter into our arms...

I loved seeing your pictures and reading your "hospital story" ...we have foster parent stories... getting our son at 4.5 months and our daughter at 5.5months...

I never tire of reading adoption stories and the pain the Birthmoms (and families) go thru!

Okay so I'm rambling... but all that to say that as a fellow adoptive mom I can never imagine the sacrifice they make for us and yet I thank them every day for making me a mom (and a family of 4).

I look forward to reading more!
Kim
www.myebella.blogspot.com or
www.myebella.wordpress.com

Kel said...

That picture of the two of you says more than a thousand words, It's awesome that you were both able to be there.

Congratulations on the birth of your son! It gives me hope that all the waiting will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

Soooo beautiful!!! I stumbled upon your blog from a list on a blog I found from a list on a blog...I am so happy for your family and wishing you the best as you absorb every moment.