Friday, August 21, 2009

Forgot to Share......

In July we received Milo's birth certificate!! :) Our adoption was final in April, and we were told it would be 6 months before we would actually receive the birth certificate. Three months later ~ there it is in the mail listing us as mommy and daddy and Milo's full name the same as ours! :) Of course I started crying.....just staring at it thinking about all that it means to our family.
To be honest, it feels a little strange not having his original one......with his birthmother's name on it. I don't know if she has it or if there was even one issued (does anyone know how this is handled?) , but I would love to have just a copy of it to put into his lifebook. Maybe at some point it would be appropriate to ask for that......maybe not......baby steps. :)
Now that we have his birth certificate, we can apply for his social security card. :) Yay!!

8 comments:

Annette said...

For some reason that made me cry...I never realized how important a birth certificate was to parents until I read your words. I can check into the original birth certificate thing at work, if you'd like, just let me know some how.
Hugs always~
Annette
smooches always ;)

hope548 said...

I'm pretty sure the original is issued to the birthparents.

hope548 said...

BTW, congrats on receiving his BC. It is exciting!

Terri Edwards said...

yay! what a great feeling!! (we're still waiting for Sofia's, hopefully it'll come soon.)

Danielle said...

Wow....very exciting! What a happy moment for your family :)

Kara said...

We had order an original copy of Tay's BC as part of our post-placement process. Original goes to sw, but I plan to make a copy first to keep for her. Google birth certificate online to see if it is still accessible. Good Luck!

Congrats on the BC!!!

Lori/RachelsMommy said...

Hi! It IS pretty exciting, huh? You just reminded me that I still need to order Rachel's ss#! We got the BC right around her 1st birthday and I forgot. Things got completed much faster for you guys...better lawyer or agency more on the ball? Not sure:)...thanks for your sweet words on my blog...I'm doing okay:)...owe you an email! Hugs,
Lori

Kel said...

I can call my mominlaw who works for a county courthouse records office in Oregon, and see what would be required. You should be able to get a copy of it without much problem. 30 bucks on line might get it to you tomorrow or the next day!