Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Couple of Questions :)

1. I'm looking for a really nice and easy baby wrap. I have a Moby Wrap and I really like the concept but I feel that there's too much fabric. It drags on the floor when I'm trying to put it on, etc. I looked at the Ultimate Baby Wrap and it looks nice but I saw that it's 7 yards of fabric and my Moby is only about 51/2 yards. Any wraps that you have found that you LOVE? I would mainly use it holding Milo in the front facing either forward or towards me.

2. It's SOOOO hot outside and it's even too hot to swim during the day. I feel that we're getting into a rut of watching Einstein videos and playing on the floor and I feel like Milo is getting bored....and frankly so am I. :) Are there any activities that you've found that are wonderful for Milo aged babies? I need to stimulate him a little bit more and need some great ideas! :)

BTW ~ Milo officially crawled this afternoon while I was talking to my sister. Matt go to see it and it was so exciting! He went from the carpet in the family room all the way into the Living room. :) What a big boy!! :)

11 comments:

Heather said...

If you want to stick with wraps, you could switch to a short (rebozo length) woven wrap, like a 2.5 meter Hoppediz or a 2.7 meter Ellaroo. Both are great, sturdy brands.

When my babes were Milo's age, I love love loved my pouch slings. (Hotslings is my personal favorite brand.) They can sit in the pouch facing out or you can turn them in chest-to-chest the same way they are in a Moby. It's also easy to carry them on your hip.

(Congrats to Milo on the crawling!)

Melba said...

Yay for crawling!

I absolutely love our Baby Bjorn, and it's pretty easy to use. You pay for the name, but this is definitely one area where you get what you pay for!

As for activities, things that stimulate his sense of touch are great at this age. You can put him in the high chair/bumbo seat and let him look at tape, paper, maybe try finger paints, or play dough...all (of course) while being extra careful that he doesn't put any of these things into his mouth. In the daycare center I used to work in, we would even let the infants play with ice, cups of water, sand, etc...sensory stimulation is the name of the game, and it helps them build eye-hand coordination. You have to be willing to let him make a mess though!

I don't know if you read to him yet or not, but it's never too early to start! Books are a great way to pass the time productively...even if you lie on the floor and look at them with him. Richard Scary books are excellent for large picture books that are simple enough for infants, but still educational. You can also try singing to him, playing music while the two of you dance together, or just playing simple games like patty cake, peek-a-boo, or airplane. My mom says that around this age, I used to love to "hunt" for a tissue that she would hide from me by tucking it into my pants pocket, or shirt sleeves.

Good luck!

Melba

kimberly said...

and we didn't get a call?????
:-).....about the crawl!....that little stinker.....i figured it would be any day now, since you said he was moving like crazy!...can't wait to see him moving out!
xo

M/J Granata said...

Jamie...
I am sure Milo looks like a true champ crawling! Look out, he is on the loose now! Hope you are child-proofed!!!!!

I can't help you on the wrap idea... but, I have looked up the wrap that Rebekah is using (the ultimate baby wrap). It got great reviews. Reviewers did recommend putting it on before you leave the house, etc... because it takes a bit of time to figure it, out in the beginning. I did not realize, though, how much material the wrap was. You may want to send a shout out to Rebekah to ask her... You are both pretty small women. She seems to like hers a lot.

I will be looking for one, hopefully sooner than later....! Good luck!

Love,
Julie

Hannah said...

My girls love music and dance. I'll play music and just dance for them and they have good rhythm too so they would be bopping to the music as well. We also got them a tent with a tunnel. They loved (and still do) crawling through the tunnel into the tent. I'm not sure if you've read any of the baby wise books but there is a section on independent play time. You put up a pack n play somewhere where you can watch him but he can't see you. Put a few toys in with him and he learns to play all on his own. Start with like 10 minutes and then build up to an hour. I actually bought a few new toys that were only used for this time. Hope it helped.

Debbie said...

I can not help you with a wrap, I used the Baby Bjorn with Jacob. He loved it, but out-grew it around 7 months.

As far as activities, you are right it is just so hot to do much of anything! If you are looking for things to do out of the house, I have a big list I can email you. While Milo is still young, he would love to see the action and stuff going on. Plus, you can always come over to my world of crazy and hang out for a morning or afternoon! :)

Congrats on the official crawling. It is a whole new world now. Love to you all...

Rebekah said...

If you want easy - go sling. I have the Ultimate Wrap and a Jelly Bean Sling. I use the sling around the house when Ty starts screaming, because it's so easy and the wrap when I have a little more time. I especially like wearing it for walking and shopping. The Ultimate Wrap is REALLY long. I'm a tiny girl, so when it's all the way on the leftover piece hangs past my knees!

I like it though. It's a t-shirt material - very comfy!!!

hope548 said...

I can totally relate to your previous post. My house needs to be much cleaner and we are offically baby-proofed. It just gets worse from here! He will get faster and better at crawling within the week and start pulling up on everything!

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you on this email, but good luck and have fun with your little crawler!

Bri said...

I have the baby bjorn and the ultimate baby wrap. I like both of them a lot. They are both comfy. The bjorn is very quick and easy (and expensive) and the wrap keeps her close but takes a long time to put on and take off. I also have an infantino carrier that I hate -- which is why I bought the bjorn.

I hear ya about being bored. I can't wait for fall so we can at least take walks in the evening!! I have no advice here, other than books and just playing.

Yay for crawling.

Terri Edwards said...

this book has saved us from many a boring afternoon...

Gymboree Play & Learn: 1001 Fun Activities for Your Baby & Child

it's awesome!

Unknown said...

If you are interested there is more information that you could ever want on the www.thebabywearer.com. I am personally a fan of gauze wraps my son is 9 months and 18.4 pounds or my other fav is an Asian Style Mei Tai carrier made by AMC, those come with ties and buckles. I swear if every Mom had one there would be alot happier babies and mommas